Thursday, August 18, 2016

Return to the mat - week 2

     Last week was my first time back on the grappling mat doing an active sparing session.  It went well and I didn't feel any additional pain then I normally do.  Additional pain is the keyword there as I'm not pain free but I'm feeling well enough to exercise and grapple.  My doctor cleared me to return to BJJ as long as I go lite and ease my self back into it and that is exactly what I'm doing.  Last time was 1 five minute sparing round and this week was 2 five minute rounds.  I miss training so much and I did notice that it came out today during my 2nd match.  My intensity during round 2 was more then it should have been and I reeled it back in towards the end.  This is something I'm going to have to keep a watch on. 
     In other news, I finally found someone else that is in my same situation.  There is a BJJ Blackbelt in another city that has spondylolisthesis and is back to training.  I messaged back and forth with him and found out that he has a grade 2 bordering on grade 3 slip and a pronounced pars fracture.  He sent me a picture of his x-ray and you can clearly see the break.  Mine is broke too but you can barely see the fracture line.  He said he feels he's back to about 80 percent and that he's teaching classes and training twice a day.  He did not have surgery but did extensive PT and has changed his diet and other choices.  That gave me hope because I knew of this other instructor and seeing him recover and do BJJ full time is encouraging!

No comments:

Post a Comment